Monday, September 15, 2003

Hola! ¿Como estas? This will be in email form...too lazy to change! hehehe

Buenas tardes! Soy anesthesia doctora numero uno. hahaha...

Well, sorry to send this in a mass email, but things just work a little better this way. This is my first email from Guatemala! Currently we're in an internet cafe, and I have to try and figure out all the keys. I mean, the keys for the letters work just fine, but it's trying to find apostrophes, colons, and whatnot. Meh...but it's been good so far. Good times, good times.

Yesterday was a long day. We had a FULL flight to Houston, TX where we arrived at George Bush Intercontinental Airport. George Bush...Texas...interesting... ;) hehehe...I've been figuring these keys out, and I think that I've kinda got it down. Whateva...then from Houston, we flew into Guatemala City with practically no one on the plane, which was veeeery nice. Got to stretch out on the seats, and enjoyed it very much.

Got into Guatemala City around 9:15pm, got dropped off all the medical supplies we were carrying to Dr. Don, who's heading the trip, got in our van, and our driver drove us here, to Antigua. When we got here, the ¨first¨ of our disasters was that we didn't get the hotel we were originally staying at because they dropped our reservation for the night since they didn't think that we were gonna make it since we got into Antigua about an hour after we arrived. So then our driver took us around trying to find us a place to stay...and we found one...which Terry and I have dubbed ¨The Primary Colors Room¨ with leopard skinned furniture in the communal areas. Sooo...Maria absolutely loved it while Terry and I were...a little more reluctant, let's say. But it was fine. Everything was pretty comfortable, and it was good.

One thing that was totally surprising to me was that when you go to the bathroom, (we had our own, by the way) was that you have to put your used toilet paper into the waste basket...umm...yeah...so that was a little interesting...woke up this morning, took a shower, oh, and when you brush your teeth, use bottled water, cuz ya never know about the tap water here. Then...went upstairs to this beautiful cafe at the top of our hotel, the Hotel Sky. About $18 a night for the 3 of us! So cheap!!!! So went upstairs to the Cafe Sky, which was absolutely adorable!!! SOOO CUTE! Sat on top of the terrace, looked out at the city, the volcano, and the surrounding hills and whatnot. Proved to be a stunning view. I took pics so you all can see what I'm talking about later, when I come back...except for Sunny, to which I'll scan the pics or mail to...I love you Sunshine! ;)

And at breakfast, Maria had little adventure in food. Our waitress thought that she had ordered a muffin, to which Maria had thought she ordered fruit, granola, and yogurt. The waitress then came by later and told Maria (in Español) that they didn't have any muffins, but had a brownie, and if she would like that instead. And Maria...not quite interpreting what she was saying, said ok. So she brought a brownie. After some confusion between the three of us, we talked to the waitress and told her what Maria wanted, and she got her food, just as Terry and I were finishing up our own food (pancakes and an omelette, respectively). Oh, and apparently they practically never had the drink I wanted. First I wanted orange juice, then they said they didn't have any...then I wanted lemonade...and they didn't have any...so then I decided to get what Maria got. A strawberry, pineapple, and banana smoothie...which was very good. Then we packed up the stuff in our room and made our way over to the Hotel San Pedro, the original hotel that we were supposed to stay at. And since our room isn't quite ready yet, the three of us wandered on over to the Cybernet Cafe where I am now. Typing a mass email to all of you out there...

After we finish up here, we're going to Terry's friend's house...Ana Maria...where we'll do...something. And since today is Guatemala's Independence Day, we'll be wandering the city and checking out the festivities! Should be quite exciting. Last night we saw these people running from Antigua to Guatemala City, which is about 35 or 45 km...you do the math. That's a damn long way to run! And they were all running with these torches they lit in Antigua's main square. The architecture here is very interesting...tons of remnants from Spanish colonial days...I think it was built around the 1500s or so. And the coffee and baked goods in here smell really good!! BUt I'm still full from brunch. And that's about it for now. Update ends about here! Email me back with what's going on back in your respective parts of the world! Take care, I promise I'll be safe...and that's about it! Have a wonderful day and I'll email another one as soon as I can! =) *MUAH*

Love,
Jessica

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|