Saturday, March 06, 2004

*Disclaimer* This is all my opinion and you have the right to feel however you want about my interpretations...in no way do I have the intention to on with the blog.

Uh...wow.

Friday: Candace, Kairu, and my aunt Teresina came over for dinner. Then Lee Ping and Erin came over for dessert. She's a nice lady, but I still can't really stand her...anyway.

Candace and I met Karina and Marlon at Meridian to watch the 10pm showing of The Passion of the Christ. Uh...wow. That movie is intense. I absolutely do not recommend taking children to watch it because the torture and scourging of the cross are quite brutal and for those faint of heart, close your eyes, plug your ears, and don't watch, or just don't watch the movie cuz it's about 1/2 the movie.

Even when they don't actually show graphic violence, you can still hear the sounds and it makes you shudder. The movie is intense, powerful, and (for some) touches the human spirit so deeply that a few sobs could be heard throughout the audience. There were parts when I didn't think that my own tears would stop falling.

The dialogue is minimal and in Aramaic or modern Latin, so bring your reading glasses. Although it seems strange that there is not much dialogue, it helps convey the emotional aspect of the film through your own pain at seeing the suffering of Jim Caviezel's Christ. Apparently Caviezel had to endure about 7 hours of make up around the end of shooting. Watch the movie or see production stills from the flaying and crucifixion, and you'll understand why...

Can't really think much at the moment...so here are some final (or maybe not so final) thoughts about the movie.

I must say that children and those who are unable to handle graphic violence and bloodshed should not watch this movie. What you take away from the movie is basically influenced by what you take in with yourself. Those watching the movie should have at least some sort of background or understanding of the Gospels, or you might get lost, seeing as how the movie jumps right in at Gethsemane and ends with the Resurrection without much, if any backstory. In addition, there is minimal dialogue, and the dialogue that is in the movie (if one is familiar with the Gospels) is nothing new and basically taken from the Gospels themselves. Many characters are not named, and I believe this might have been intentionally done so as to promote the Gospels and renew peoples interest in the stories of Christ's life, the Bible, and Catholicism (and Christianity) itself.

There are some flashbacks and whatnot, but that's mainly to help people bear the violence that makes up about 1/2 the movie and story.

Wow, this post has taken me 3 days to write. Sad.

Ok, enough talking about The Passion of the Christ. If you wanna know more about how I liked/disliked/whatever felt about the movie, just ask.

Saturday I didn't do much. Work, then taking care of the siblings since my mom went out to dinner with family friends and my dad's in Hong Kong.

Sunday (today): work, then went to Jamba Juice...then Al and Roni's house for dinner. Played with Alex (he's so freakin' adorable), Sydney, caught up with Jami, helped cook, later mom, bro, sis, and Jo Jo showed up. Played Phase 10, and now I'm back.

Huskies beat Cardinals!!!!!! -- WOOHOO!!! Awesome game.

O'Dea won 3A State over Rainier Beach!!!

Sonics lost to Detroit...

M's beat Padres in Spring Training

"Yeah I live for little moments
When she steals my heart again and doesn't even know it
Yeah I live for little moments like that."

-- Name that song! Nobody got it yet...Jeremy's come up with "what's his face."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!

Oh, and I finally got a watch. It will be brought over from Hong Kong when my dad comes home.

And I am so screwed this week. 4 page paper due the 10th. 20 page paper due the 11th. Final the 12th. SO GODDAMN SCREWED!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|